GlobeSailor reviews: Sailing licence requirements in Croatia

To charter a boat in Croatia, at least one person needs to be a certified skipper aged over 18. In addition to this, Croatian law dictates that all skippers must have a valid VHF radio licence. A detailed list of accepted VHF licence certificates can be viewed here.

To sail in Croatia, you will need one of the following:

  • RYA Day Skipper Course
  • ICC (International Certificate of Competence), Int.
  • IPC (International Proficiency Certificate), USA.
  • NauticEd SLC (International Sailing License and Credentials), Int.

OR: [UK] RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate or higher, [USA] Sailing ‘Basic Keelboat’ or higher, [DE] ‘Sportbootführerschein See’ or higher, [FR] le Permis Plaisance.

Presenting your documents to port authorities

You will need to have original sailing and VHF licences in your possession to present to Croatian port authorities. If you’re unsure about the validity of your documents, consult your GlobeSailor consultant – they will be more than happy to help!

You’ll also need these:

Valid travel documents

  • USA citizens: EU regulations require USA passport holders to have no less than three months validity from the date of their planned departure from Croatia.
  • European Union (EU) citizens: no visa required.
  • Canadian citizens: do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days.

Charter insurance

Your GlobeSailor booking agent will advise you on all relevant insurance options available to you.

Leave a Reply