GlobeSailor reviews: Sailing licence requirements in Greece

The GlobeSailor team reviews the Greek licensing requirements for sailors! Planning a sailing holiday in Greece and thinking of going bareboat? This blog post has all the info you need to know…

To sail in Greece, you will need:

  • A skipper with a valid sailing licence
  • Valid travel documents
  • An assisting crew member (co-skipper), aged over 18, with boating experience
  • Valid charter insurance

At the outset, these four requirements appear pretty achievable and almost straightforward, however there are some caveats! What constitutes a ‘valid sailing licence’ varies significantly from country to country… Let’s dive in and take a closer look.

The following certificates and awards are sufficient as ‘valid sailing licenses’ in Greece:

  • ICC (International Certificate of Competence or International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft). The ICC is issued under IWC Resolution 40 of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE). Several countries have adopted this Resolution although Greece has not. However, Greek port authorities accept the ICC as evidence of sailing competency. Although the ICC is often referred to as the license to sail abroad, it is up to each country to accept it or not.
  • IPC (International Proficiency Certificate), America
  • NauticEd SLC (International Sailing Licence and Credentials), International

OR: RYA Day Skipper practical (UK), USA Sailing ‘Bareboat Cruising Course’, ASA ‘104 Bareboat Cruising Course’ or higher, ‘Sportbootführerschein See’ or higher (Germany), le Permis Plaisance (France).

You should always verify that your certificates are compliant by sending them to your GlobeSailor advisor for review. You should be in possession of original copies of these certificates to present to port authorities for validation.

Valid travel documents

US citizens: US citizenship holders do not require a visa to visit Greece for stays of up to 90 days. They currently benefit from the Schengen visa waiver (until 2021). Travel to Greece post-2021 will require US citizens to apply for the ETIAS visa (European Travel Information and Authorization System).

European Union (EU) citizens: no visa required.

Canadian citizens: do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days.

Competent co-skipper

The skipper should be assisted by at least one member of the crew with demonstrated boating experience. This assisting crew member should be 18 years or older.

You’ll need the following insurance cover:

  • Yacht and boat insurance – provided by the charter company
  • Charter insurance – will be provided by the charter company
  • Professional skipper liability cover

So, have you ticked all the boxes? If so, congratulations! You can now look forward to your upcoming charter in Greece. Still unsure about where you stand? We are happy to answer your questions… Contact us today!

Leave a Reply